over 2 years ago
This wonderfully aromatic chicken dish is short on prep and big on flavor. It's also a great dish to make ahead the day before and reheat -- it's even tastier after the flavors meld. Serve with rice and a green salad.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon expeller-pressed canola oil, plus more for oiling the pan
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces*
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 lemon, sliced
Preheat oven to 425°F. Oil a large roasting pan and set aside. In a small bowl, combine paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar and oil to make a paste. Place onions in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the paste. Rub chicken pieces with remaining paste and place in prepared pan, then cover with onions, peppers and lemon. Roast, basting occasionally with pan juices, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
* Note: If the chicken has been precut into eight pieces, simply cut each breast in half through the rib cage to ensure even cooking. Or, you can ask your butcher to cut a whole chicken into 10 pieces with breasts deboned.
- 539 calories
- 36g total fat
- 10g saturated fat
- 170mg cholesterol
- 748mg sodium
- 9g carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar)
- 44g protein